Are you a Software Professional wishing to migrate to Australia?

Getting an Australian permanent residency visa for a software/IT professional is usually a simple process if you can meet a few basic requirements. However, many software and IT professionals are busy with their career growth, and they do not realise that migrating to Australia is a simple and usually straight-forward process. Many of them miss out the good opportunity to become an Australian permanent resident until it is too late. This article will answer a few basic questions about the Australian migration process:

Which Australian permanent residency visa is suitable for Software/IT Professional?

While there are different visas available for Software/IT professionals depending on their selection of occupation, Skilled Independent (Subclass 189) visa under the skilled migration program is the most practical way to get your Australian permanent residency visa. To qualify for this visa, your selected occupation should be on the Skilled Occupation List (called SOL).

What IT occupations are in the SOL?

·        Software engineer

·        Analyst Programmer

·        Developer programmer

·        ICT business analyst

·        Systems Analyst

·        Computer Network and Systems Engineer

What are the basic requirements?

1.      Points Test: Subclass 189 is based on points system. You will need a minimum of 60 points, which is the pass mark. However, to get an invitation to apply for the visa, you may need to get higher mark depending on your selected occupation.

There are different ways to get your points. Here I am giving an example: If you are aged between 25 to 32 years (inclusive), you will get 30 points. For a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, you may get 15 points. For an English score of 7 in each section of IELTS exam or other equivalent exams, you will get 10 points. For having more than 7 years of relevant experience (of which 5 years will be skilled employment), you may get 10 points.

People with less experience or people above 33 years may need get better score in the English exam. Rather than calculating points based on internet, it is always better to get professional consultation to make sure you will get enough points before you start the process. Please make sure that you use a registered migration agent. You can search for a registered migration agent at: www.mara.gov.au.

2.      Skills assessment: You will need to get satisfactory skills assessment from Australian Computer Society (ACS). After assessing they will need to give you a letter that you have satisfied their requirements. There will be fees (Australian $500 or $550) that you will need to pay for the skills assessment to ACS. This could take approximately two weeks. You do not need to have your English score to apply for ACS assessment. You can apply for ACS first and write the exam later. Alternatively, you can complete the exam first.

3.      Expression of interest: You will need make an online application expressing your interest to become a permanent resident of Australia. The higher the score, the higher the chances of getting an invitation.

4.      Visa application following invitation: Once you get an invitation to apply for a visa, you should submit your visa application and upload all your documents. You will need to complete your medical examinations and submit the required police clearance certificates.

5.      Visa grant: Once the visa is granted, you will need to enter Australia to activate the visa within the first entry date, which is usually within a year of completing your medical examination. You will then have time to come and settle in Australia.

What would be the cost?

For the English exam, you may spend approximately Australian $300. For skills assessment, it would be around Australian $500 or $550. There is no fee involved in making an expression of interest.

When you make the visa application, the visa application fees that you will pay to the Department of Immigration: For the primary applicant A$3600 + A$1800 for secondary applicant (Spouse) + A$900 for each child, if applicable. This fee is non-refundable if the visa is granted or refused. The Department usually increases this fee every July. The Department also collects credit card surcharge (0.98% for VISA or Master card) for the visa application fees.

You will not be paying the visa application fees to the Department unless otherwise the Department invites you to apply. Considering the high cost involved with the visa application fees and the complexity of the visa process, I would recommend that you use a good, reliable, registered migration agent for getting professional help. Please consider the amount that you spend on Australian PR as an investment for your future rather than as expense.

How many visas are issued for Software professionals per year?

The Department of Immigration usually announces how many visas that they will give for each ANZSCO group of occupations in each financial year (1 July to 30 June). For the 2016-2017 financial year, the maximum of visas that will be issued for Software professionals under subclass 189 visa will be 8570 under the following categories:

·        Software engineer/Analyst programmer/Developer programmer: 5662 positions

·        ICT business and Systems analyst: 1482 positions

·        Computer network and Systems engineer: 1426 positions.

Where can I get further information?

You can get further information from the Department of Immigration website or from our websites: www.visahelpaustralia.com.au or www.skilledmigrationconsultants.in

Visa Help Australia or Skilled Migration Consultants can assist you with your Australian migration plan from the beginning to the visa grant stage. If you would like to get professional help, you can contact us by sending an email to Contact@visahelpaustralia.com

Please do not forget to see our testimonials page before contacting us: https://www.visahelpaustralia.com.au/testimonials-australian-visa/